“PREPARING FOR TRANSITIONS”
by: Mark Johnson
… that you may know the way by which you must go, for you have not passed this way before. – Josh. 3:4b
Have you been in a season of transition in your life? How can you prepare for transitions?
In Joshua chapter 3, Israel was in a season of great transitions. Joshua had recently replaced Moses as Israel’s leader. A new generation of Israelites was being led by Joshua into the Promised Land – a place they hadn’t been before. How did they prepare for these transitions?
- FOCUS ON THE PROMISES OF GOD (Josh. 1:2-5). Joshua focused on the promises that God had given the Israelites regarding the Promised Land, rather than focusing on the difficulty of transitions. During your next season of transition, focus on the prophetic words God has given you.
- BE STRONG AND COURAGEOUS (Josh. 1:6-7, 9). God told Joshua several times that he was to be strong and courageous during this season of transitions. It takes choosing to be strong and courageous to effectively navigate through transitions. God is the true source of strength and courage.
- MEDITATE ON AND OBEY THE WORD (Josh. 1:8). During transitions it is easy to get sidetracked. God told Joshua that if he would mediate on the Word and obey it, he would prosper and have good success.
- GO AFTER THE PRESENCE OF GOD (Josh. 3:3-4). The people were to go after the ark, which represented the presence of God. It is the presence of God that will lead us effectively into the places we’ve never been.
- SANCTIFY YOURSELF (Josh. 3:5). Joshua said to the people, “Sanctify yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.” Sanctifying ourselves prepares us for the wonders God desires to do among us in the midst of or as a result of transition. Is there anything you need to be sanctified from in order to prepare for coming transitions?
May we follow these principles to prepare ourselves for a season of transitions, that God may take us where we’ve never been and do wonders among us!